We are down visiting family for two weeks and yesterday we went to Disneyland, you know the "happiest place on Earth", and it really hits me, while this statement may be true, should it be? I mean don't get me wrong I had a blast going on Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain and yes even Splash Mountain (though it was a little cold). But as Christians we can spend time in the presence of God himself, and yet we consider Disneyland the happiest place on Earth? While my mind instantly leaps to defend the great time had at Disneyland I know deep down that truly my greatest joy should come from spending time praying, and reading the Word, or worshiping my Savior on Sunday morning in the presence of fellow believers. I don't think there was anything wrong with how we spent our day yesterday. However I do think that I really need to think twice the next time I'm not feeling so hot on a Sunday morning and I debate staying home, or the next time I think I rather watch Football than go to service Sunday night. Church can be a lot of things, it can be the most mind numbing place on Earth, the most annoying place on Earth, yes even the last place on Earth I want to be. What it should be however is the happiest place on Earth, and that doesn't rest with how good the sermon is or how well the worship band plays, in fact it has nothing to do with the physical church at all. Instead it has everything to do with me, my attitude, and my willingness to set myself aside as I enter into the presence of God, where it truly is the happiest place on Earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment